Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Handmade Glass Beads

I love to work with handmade glass beads. The variety is amazing, and the colors are heavenly. And all made from sand and fire!

Glass beads can be made with very little resources. In Mauretania, the Kiffa people crush bottles and jars into a powder. They use their own saliva to bind the crushed glass into cone-shaped beads. They add designs by applying crushed colored glass to the cone with a needle. Then the beads are fired in small containers—often sardine cans.

Furnace glass beads, such as millefiore beads, use glass-working techniques first developed in Italy. Millefiore beads were popular in Roman days, two thousand years ago. Then as now, these handmade beads were formed from rods of colored glass, bundled to form the exquisite designs that give them their name, “thousand flowers.”

After the fall of Rome, Europe made little in the way of luxury products such as glass. When the Crusaders brought glassmaking techniques from the East, Venice became a glass-making center. The rulers, or Doges, kept glassmakers on the island of Murano and threatened them with harsh penalties if they revealed the secrets of their trade.

Artists who make lampwork glass beads first coat a metal rod with a substance called “bead release.” Then they melt a glass rod and spin the metal rod in the hot glass to form a bead. Once they have the base of the bead, they add colors in layers to complete their design.

My favorite maker of handmade lampwork beads is Lisa Atchison. I’ve included a picture of one of her beads with this blog. Nature inspires Lisa, and she often combines glass with electroplated natural objects, such as leaves, to make her beads. Here are two of the designs that I have created using her beads.

Lisa Atchison Brown Bead Necklace



I’ve been stringing Lisa’s beads on Silk Ribbon from Jamn Glass. This is a type of ribbon made for jewelry makers to be hardwearing. I use leather cord, too. And, of course, some of her beads seem to cry out for copper, sterling silver or vermeil.

I love the organic feeling of Lisa’s beads. Her craftsmanship is extraordinary! My Italian soul resonates with the intricate patterns of millefiore beads. Handmade glass beads always seem to inspire me. Perhaps they carry with them the feelings of the artist who made them.





I know that something of myself is within every piece of jewelry I make. As Lisa says, a bead is not truly art until someone wears it.

Ciao,
Mariealena

2 comments:

Lori Smith said...

Hi Isabella! Thanks for visiting my blog! Your work is absolutely lovely! Did you know that Lisa A is my best friend? Lol! She is very talented, isn't she? I will put you on my blog as well!

Jennifer Cameron said...

Great post! I love all the info you included here and that you featured Lisa. Great blog. I will add you to my blog.

About Me

My photo
Started as a hobby, Isabella's Beads is owned and operated by me, Mariealena Calabrese. After realizing that beading was more of a passion rather than just a hobby, I wanted to share my creations with everyone. I recently gave birth to my first child, my daughter Isabella Rose. I started Isabella's Beads with the hope that when she grows older she will have a successful, reputable business for herself. One thing I pride myself on is the fact that I am committed to outstanding customer service. 100% satisfaction is guaranteed! I hope you enjoy your jewelry as much as I enjoy making it.